NVQ evidence

Friday, December 09, 2005

 

edgar reflection

Edgar Reflection

Feelings

Edgar was quite anxious - this was quite distressing for him. He was obviously VERY embarressed about his hospital admission. He was also embarressed about his physical condition. He seemed quite a shy gentleman also. It was very important that I did not show any signs of distain when dealing with him. He was my patient and that is the most important thing. It can be very easy to make judgement about people. Also, it is very easy to pick up other people's prejudices. I did not judge him for who or how he was. I have been nursing nearly 15 years now and dealing with the unkempt does not worrry me. I do not make an issue of individuals' presentation. Individuals have the right to express themselves as they wish. An issue is raised when that individual's behaviour encroaches on another individual's wishes/choises. Here there was no encroachment.

Edgar was at risk by his choises. He choise to not allow outside agencies into his home to care for him. This had the effect of his incontinces causing him problems with his skin integrity. As a health care worker, it is my role to support indiviuals in their choises as well as, if there are conflicts between their choices and their health, to challenge these. However, as a health care support worker, my role is a limited one. I needed to discuss things with my assessor before I said anything to Edgar. This I feel is important as I am not an accountable practitioner. My assessor is so it is important that she is happy with anything that I say to a client. If I had not discussed things with my assessor prior to talking to Edgar, then this could have caused problems for her.

Evaluation

I feel the situation went satisfactorily. Edgar was offered choices and was not coersced into making an decision. In an fast environment such as medical addmissions, people are moved out at the drop of the hat to make space for individuals who need to move as not to breach four hours in A and E.
People can be almost manipulated into making decisions. This is not always ethical. It is very important that individuals are given time make up their own minds without any coercion.


Individuals also have that the choice as to whether an incontinence aid is suitable for them. Them may be an incontinence aid that appears to be the most suitable for that client but when the client uses it, they do not like it. It is up to the client to decide whether this is used or not. And it is the role of the worker to point out that the this maybe the best that an is available but also to reiterate that it is the right of the client to choose whether to use it or not.

Conclusion
I feel that the situation was managed well. I was able to act within my role. When my role was exceeded, then my assessor was able to intervene. Also, Edgar was able to make his own choice about the best appliance for him.



<< Home

Archives

November 2004   February 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   December 2005   January 2006   August 2006   September 2006   January 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?