NVQ evidence

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

Sarah reflections

Sarah - Reflections
Feelings
Sarah was understandably anxious about having his investigation undertaken. The thought of having a needle brought into one's back can be quite terrifying. I can own that the thought terrifies me. It was very important that I did not convey this fear to Sarah. I feel that I did this. I remained calm and collected and acted appropriately to her distress in that I did not exacerbate it.
The issue of Sarah being attended to by two males was very important as well. As a male member of staff, it is very important that I remain sensitive to the issue of my gender when dealing with female patients. The doctor who was carrying out the procedure was male also. Due to the fact that not I was being assessed by my assessor, I asked if he was OK for me to be there also. As mentioned in the description of this case, Sarah did not have a problem with me being there.

Evaluation
I feel the procedure and went very well. Although Sarah was anxious I feel that I acted in a manner that was appropriate to situation.
The issue of aseptic technique is one which I feel, due to the restraints of time, can sometimes be an area where corners are cut. It is very important for asepsis to be maintained. With the advent of Methicillin Resistant Saphlococus Aurius (MRSA) and Clostridium Dificile (C Diff) as well as a plethera of other pathogens that can be nosocmially aquired, this is even more important.
It may seem petty and time consuming to be so conscious of maintaining sterility, however it can be a matter of life and death in the long run, not to mention extra health care resources being utilised and discomfort and pain for the client it is not maintained. In the past, I have been lackadaisical in the areas of a sepsis. I think the process of me undertaking this award has made me more aware of of the importance of being vigilant and taking more care, even if it takes more time, so that cross-infection risks are reduced.


Analysis
Please see evaluation.


Conclusion
I feel that this scenario was satisfactory. It could have gone wrong very easily if Sarah had not consented to my being there be, if I had not maintained sterility nor not remained calm when Sarah was anxious.



<< Home

Archives

November 2004   February 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   December 2005   January 2006   August 2006   September 2006   January 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?