Andrew was a 35 year-old gentleman who was admitted with general malaise and pyrexia.
This scenario follows his admission to the unit. He arrived by ambulance and was on a trolley. He appeared very nervous and is his respiratory rate was elevated. I introduced myself to him giving my designation. Asked him what he liked to be called and called him that this when I addressed him.
I explained that this was the medical admissions ward and that as he had been admitted via ambulance to last, it would be necessary for me to undertake several investigations such as observations. I also informed him that it would be necessary for me to take some information down about him.
I noticed that Andrew was still very anxious. I in short that my approach was not threatening the and that he understood what was happening. I undertook the observations are that needed to do as well as take the information it was necessary. He consented to all activities post Explanation. When I said that I needed to take a blood-sugar reading, Andrew became excessively distressed. He expressed to me that he had a needle phobia. I explained that the needle involve was very small. He said he did not one the procedure to be undertaken. I explain to him that a blood-sugar reading would be very useful to doctors in their investigations into his malaise. He continued to express that he did not one to be procedure to be carried out.
At this point, I informed my assessor who came to speak to Andrew. She said that the test was very important and would help to doctors immensely. I said to Andrew that the test would be over very quickly. He agreed to the test.
As not to distress Andrew excessively, I prepared to the finger prick pen and testing machine out of the way of Andrew whilst my assessor spoke to Andrew and continued to help him to calm down. I explained the procedure and quickly and easily to Andrew and undertook it quickly and effectively which helped him to minimise his distress. I followed the trust procedure for monitoring Blood sugar without any problems (See E15). I recorded a result in the appropriate part of Andrew's care plan as well as the fact that Andrew had stated that he had a needle phobia.
Elements Covered
X12
1
.1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .9 .10
Ranges
1a 1b
2
.1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 .10 .11 .12
Ranges
1a 1b 2a
3
.1 .3 .4 .5 .6 .8 .9
Ranges
1a 1b
Z8
1
.1.2.3.5
Range
1a 1b 2a 2b 2c
2
.1.10
Range
1a 1b