NVQ evidence
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Andrew - Reflection
Andrew
Reflection
Feelings
When Andrew was admitted, he was feeling very upset and frightened. At the mention of the use of a needle, be it very small, made him even more frightened. In these instances, it is not only frightening for the individual, but also other patients can feed off this fear and become anxious themselves. If the worker does not control her/his feelings, these can escalate and wind the poor patient up even more. I was concerned that Andrew was becoming more frightened at the thought of having a needle. It is not nice to see patients suffering. It is also important not to belittle them all apply workers are ideas and standards on how to behave or what his expected. I hate needles. I become a quivering wreck at the thought of one when it is facing towards. This empathy I used positively. I can share how the person is feeling so I can build upon this to react in a matter that his facilitator a rather than destructive. If Andrew had categorically become totally petrified a but the thought of a needle, then we would have had to stop. The I feel, that in this instance, the informed consent was gained and Andrew was able to rationalise that his fee or of the needle could be overridden by the necessity of the test. It was good that he calm down in the end and was less anxious at the end of the procedure that he was at the start.
Evaluation
I think the situation was handled quite well. Andrew was anxious at the beginning and calmer by the end of the intervention. Informed consent can be very useful tool. It gives people control with a situation. In this case, it gave Andrew some control over the needle. It also helped him rationalise that it was in his best interests. When a client is becoming more anxious and there would is busy, it can be very difficult to stay calm. However, remaining calm is the best thing as it can help the anxious person to hold on an reduced their stress. In this case, this strategy worked. In the past, I have found a it difficult to stay calm when a patient is a winding up, especially when the ward is busy. Value judgements can creep in. I felt that we were a able to address and work towards a satisfactorily resolution to this situation
Analysis
If a a client categorically declines and a procedure, then it is an assault to undertake the procedure without consent. The client has the right to receive that information that gives them were as much knowledge as they need to make a choice whether to have the procedure or not. Andrew was a frightened. By talking him through the situation and explaining what was happening, as well as telling him how important it was, Andrew was able to come to acceptance that the procedure would be in his best interests as it would facilitate him his diagnosis. With the explanation, Andrew became increasingly come and read and see that continuing to give the information was not making more stressed so we continued to it.
Conclusion
I feel that in this case, that the appropriate action was taken and that the client maintained control of the situation and was able to rationalise himself as to the best action that he should take without been bullied or coerced into the situation.
Archives
November 2004
February 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
August 2006
September 2006
January 2007
