NVQ evidence

Sunday, July 03, 2005

 

Sandra

Z8

Sandra was a 48 year old lady who had come into hospital after taking an overdose of paracetamol. This was her third admission for such an act. I introduced myself to her and asked how she was. She started to cry and told me that she wanted to die. I listened to her as she told me why she had taken the overdose. I used open bodylanguage as to not appear threatening. I also spoke calmly and remainened calm. I gave her all of my attentions and showed i was listening to her by using appropriate nods and feeding back to her what she had said to help her keep on track of what she wanted to say. She also reiterated that she wanted to die. As I felt that this situation was not within my role, I reported to what Sandra had said and that she had twice expressed the desire to kill herself. I also recorded what she had said in her care plan. My Assessor then had a discussion with her and asked the pschyciatric liason nurse to come and visit Sandra.

Reflections
Feelings
Sandra was really upset. I found it quite disturbing that she was SO upset. I had to disguise my true feelings as that would have brought another agenda to the situation and may also have prevented Sandra from talking. She was still very upset when i called in my assessor, however, she was a lot more calm after i had given her some time and allowed her to talk.

Evaluation
Individuals with mental health issues can experience prejudgeice in genreal life. When they are admitted to a genral nursing setting, such as the one where i work, this can still occur. Moreover, when individuals self-harm, then the prejudice can be even more extreme. Even within an environment where there are healthcare professionals, this prejudgice can be quite extreme. The fact that the individual has done something actively that is responsible for them being admitted, it can be easy to dismiss the person and forget that they have needs. All patients have the right to care, despite their personal situation or the fact that there may have been some coupability in their own condition. I sometimes can overlook the fact that individuals may have needs in such situations. I have found that with the NVQ process, I have been less judgemental in such situations.

Analysis
I feel that I acted appropriately in this situation. It is very difficult sometime as a Support Worker as individuals tell one things that are outside one's role. It is very important to indicate to individuals who express things that are outside one's role that this is the case. It must also be stated that more appropriate outside help will be sort.
When individuals express that they wish to self harm or kill themselves, even if sounds that it has been said in jest, THIS MUST BE PAST ON TO A REGISTERED PRACTITIONER AS WELL AS BEING RECORDED IN THE CLIENT'S CARE PLAN. This is so the correct support can be put in place as well as providing records for the future.


Conclusion
I feel that i acted correctly be involving my Asessor at this point as I felt that I was getting out of my depth. I could have not involved my assessor and found that i really got out of my depth. I could also have not informed my Assessor that Sandra wanted to kill herself. She could have gone on to do this. I feel the situation went well and that I managed to deal with Sandra's distress approprately and also with my own.



<< Home

Archives

November 2004   February 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   September 2005   October 2005   December 2005   January 2006   August 2006   September 2006   January 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?