Alan was a 69 year old gentleman with shingles, which required him to be isoloated and nursed in a side room. He also had prostatic and bowel cancer. He had been admitted for increasing shortness of breath. His urinary continence was variable and as he was have intermittant melina, he was sometimes incontinent of faeces. Alan's shingles had affected both eyes and had made him deaf in his right ear. He used a hearing aide to fascilitate communication. He was nervouse about falling out of bed so he had consented to having bed rails in place.
I was assisted by my Assessor to undertake his moring care. After applying latex gloves and plastic aprons to ourselves, I said hello to Alan and said my name so that he was aware that I was and so did my Assessor. I explained to him what was needed and obtained his consent.
He said that he required to have his bowels open. However, due to his malina, he was incontinent of faeces. He asked to use a bed pan so we obtained a suitable one and after informing him of what we were going to do we rolled him onto it maximising his dignity as best we could. We ensured he was safe (with the cot sides up) and as comfortable as possible and gave him the bell to ring, after ensuring that he was able to use it.
When he had finished, he rang the bell. When we arrived